Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Easy going day today. Cravings, so I decided to cook.

Wow! I am so impressed with my effort to clean out my freezer. I have been craving a smoke pretty bad today. I think it's from boredom, so I decided to make a little headway in cleaning out my freezer. I found some big bags of frozen corn and decided I would make some sort of corn casserole. OMG! It turned out so good, I wrote down the recipe. I actually threw it together from ingredients I had on hand, and I am sharing it here so you can enjoy it also. I call it Cleaning out the freezer Corn Casserole. I believe in keeping things as real and simple as possible. Can't you tell?

Cleaning out the freezer Corn Casserole

Ingredients

1 32 oz bag corn niblets
1 can diced tomatoes with green pepper &
onion
2 cups instant brown rice
1 cup unsalted chicken broth
1 T. cumin
1 T. chili powder
2 t. salt
2 t. parsley flakes
Fresh black pepper to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste
Half a package of Kraft cracked black
pepper cheddar cheese


How to make:

Mix corn, tomatoes, half a tomato can of
water, rice, and chicken broth in large bowl.
Mix in dry ingredients and sprinkle the top
with parsley for color. Bake at 350 for 50
minutes in a 13 x 9 pan. Remove from oven and top with
grated cheese. Cook for another 15 minutes
until bubbly around edges.

I think I may freeze this and reheat for thanksgiving. No cravings now. Yay! Now I'm putting it right back in the freezer. Makes no sense at all, does it? Oh Well...I tried.