Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Mom has had her shoulder replacement surgery. I want a cigarette!

I don't really want a cigarette. My Mom had her reverse shoulder replacement shoulder yesterday morning, and by the afternoon, she was like a hurt animal. She was lashing out at everyone. It was pretty crazy. Interestingly enough, I had no desire at all for a cigarette. I think by now after almost 6 months, I am a non smoker.

I have read stories of people who have caved after being quit for 5 years or more. I don't think I am one of those people, but I guess you never know. I am very grateful to have had the help of Chantix for my quit, and I know it doesn't work for everyone, but it did for me. I am not trying to be pushy about it or trying to "sell" it or anything. I do feel somewhat obligated to mention it though, because the name of my blog has Chantix in the title.

I will be going to see my Mom at the hospital again today. Lord knows what awaits me there. She was so snarly yesterday afternoon, but I knew she was on drugs and in pain. It will get better, so I'm keeping my eyes on the prize, so to speak. That prize would be more function and less pain for my Mom. I just can't stand to see her in pain. I want to just grab her up and protect her from it. I want to be a Mama bear. She's going to really hurt for a while, I know, but the goal is to have her bone on bone arthritis pain go away. She had a knee replacement, so she knows she will feel better over time.

I will get through all this without smoking. I will stay smober and breathe deeply because I can. Isn't that cool?
Hope everyone has a fabulous day!