Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy May 1st! Still smoke free!

I am still smoke free. I can't believe it has been so easy, actually. I smoked for about 35 years, and essentially quit cold turkey. Yes, I took Chantix which helps with the cravings and withdrawal, but when my quit day came, I simply did not smoke and have been smoke free for almost 2 months now. It really is astounding to me that even with hubby still smoking, I am able to stay quit.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I grew up with smoke smell. My Dad smoked and the smell of smoke when I hugged him was just natural somehow. I feel that old familiarity when I hug my husband now. Somehow, it is comforting to me. It doesn't make me want to smoke or make me think he stinks or anything.

Speaking of smoke smell...smoke pervades everything if you smoke inside your house. Cleaning the tar off everything is an unenviable job. Been there, done that. I will not do that ever again. Once you quit smoking, you'll want to clean everything and get a fresh smell throughout your house. It's like that old saying, "Out with the old. In with the new."

Quitting smoking really is reinventing yourself and becoming a different person. A better person physically, and ideally, a calmer more tolerant person. Sure, in the initial stages of your quit, you'll be irritable, but that is normal. Remember, you are going through withdrawal from a very powerful drug, so don't be hard on yourself. Don't be afraid to join a quit smoking forum for friendship and support from nice people who are going through similar experiences. I provided links to a couple which can be found on the right of this page. Family sometimes doesn't understand all the changes you are going through, and can't be the best support. We love them anyway.

I am about to do some housework while hubby does some yard work. I was going to change the sheets on my bed, but I can't find one of the matching pillow cases anywhere. I have 4 pillows on my bed, and in my weird mind, I must have 4 pillowcases that match. I can make a quick run to Target to pick up another pack of pillowcases. No, they are not white. Got gobs of those, but I want this other color today. It's like a lost sock or something and driving me crazy. I've looked everywhere, and simply can't find it.

So, there's my day. Cleaning and shopping for pillowcases. Whoop dee doo! While I'm out and about, I'll take a paper to my Mom and see if she really is still mad at me for nothing. It's weird. She hurt my feelings, knows she did it, and she's mad at me. She's not speaking to me, and I didn't do anything wrong. I don't understand her all the time, but I always love her. I have been calling her every day as usual, but she won't answer or return my calls. Oh well, as much stress as she causes me, I'm not smoking. I think I'm being pretty damn amazing actually!

Ok, y'all, stay smober. You can do it! You are all amazing!